Thursday, February 24, 2011

Good Experience #1


Ministry
Ever since ninth grade, I knew that I was called into vocational ministry. It was a Thursday night at summer camp when I was at the altar and the preacher came up to me and called me by name and told me that I was called into full time ministry. I had never met the man and he had never met me, yet somehow he called out my first and last name. At that point I knew that this was something bigger than I or the preacher and it must have been God.
At that moment I couldn’t explain the feeling I had. It was so surreal because, how do you explain or comprehend something bigger than yourself. When you ask people how they felt when they were involved with something bigger than themselves, its almost like words cant explain it. After the 9/11 attacks, a reporter asked a woman who was in one of the towers what she had felt, and she said… I can’t even explain it. When you are apart of something bigger than yourself, words can almost not describe what you are feeling. It was a God moment.
Ever since that point I had my vision and I knew what God had called me to. After that moment I was very intentional about being involved and around in ministry, doing whatever I could to serve. I came early on Wednesdays before youth and set up chairs- whatever I could to serve and be around ministry.
Whenever I don’t wanna do ministry or I feel discouraged, I look back to that moment when God spoke to me through the preacher. In the Old Testament, when God spoke to his chosen nation Israel, or did something significant in their lives, they would build an altar of stones to signify that God had done something in their lives, and the altar of stones would help serve as a remembrance. For me, that night at summer camp serves as a remembrance as to God’s faithfulness and what he has called me to do and to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment