Sunday, February 27, 2011

Good Experience #4


Traveling for Music
            I want to start off by saying that I do boast in anything that I am about to write, that is not my heart. It’s only by God’s grace that he’s used me in these ways. For the past four years, I’ve had the opportunity that not many students get to experience. I’ve been at a larger church where I get to lead people in worship every week and create a greater culture of worship, and I’ve been fortunate enough to travel the west coast leading worship for camps, conferences and churches.
            My freshman year, I had the opportunity to lead worship for the Assemblies of God network youth summer camps, I had the opportunity to lead at some churches in the area outside of Cedar Park like Timberlake, Eastside Foursquare, Newlife in Everett and Overlake. This was a sweet gig because not only is it a great experience, the pay is equivalent to a full time job. This helped my financially so that I didn’t have to have a job during the week and it allowed me to focus on ministry and school.
My Sophomore year was probably the craziest year of my life, but as far as ministry, I flew to Texas to lead worship for the Southern Texas A/G youth conference. It was the craziest thing I’ve ever been to, they packed out a huge building with over 12,000 students! To say that I was nervous was a vast understatement. I had the time of my life and they stayed me in the nicest hotel I had ever been in – the 4 seasons. I felt unworthy to even pee in the toilet! But I still did because I had to J
            My junior year I had the privilege to lead for the A/G network youth camps, but also for the youth conference up here, along with flying from California, to Colorado, and Arizona to lead for conferences and churches. Side note, another benefit from all of this travel is the airline miles – I have accrued enough frequent flyer miles that it paid for my ticket to Hawaii this summer! And all of those times I flew were not paid for by me! Anyways, most people don’t get that opportunity in their lifetime and by God’s grace, I have been able to minister and help shape and grow the worship cultures at the various venues that I’ve been fortunate to lead for.
            My senior year (my current year) I haven’t traveled at all. I’m called to ministry and I love traveling, but I believe growth happens in the local church. So this past year I have been at a church in the area, leading, but more importantly raising up future worship leaders and equipping the saints of not only tomorrow, but today. I don’t want to lead worship in the long term, probably only for a few more years, but while I still am, I want to be completely intentional with raising up worshippers in the local church.

No comments:

Post a Comment